‘Tis the season to be jolly – to celebrate the year with family and friends, to celebrate successes and good health, and to stay warm next to a fire or a cozy cocktail during the frigid winter temperatures. So, we have created a guide to some warm alcoholic drinks to make for cold weather to help you warm up when the weather outside is frightful.
COLD WEATHER COCKTAILS
Below are some of our favorite winter cocktails to keep you warm and cozy during the colder months. Of course, simply add Switch Vodka Light to any of the listed drinks when applicable, and keep your hangovers and calories in check.
The Hot Toddy is one of the most classic warm alcoholic drinks for cold weather, so of course it’s number 1 on our list. Warm up after your day skiing or heat up your holidays with this warm, classic cocktail. Easy to make and deliciously delightful, this drink will warm up your winter.
- 1 cup water
- 1-ounce 52Eighty Hearthstone Whiskey
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon round
- 1 cinnamon stick optional garnish
- 1 slice pear optional garnish
Directions (Click Here for full recipe)
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a simmer. Pour the hot water into a mug.
- Add the whiskey, honey, and lemon juice. Stir until the honey has disappeared into the hot water.
- Garnish with a lemon round (cinnamon stick and pear if desired) and serve hot.
THE SPIKED HOT CHOCOLATE
The Spiked Hot Chocolate is the favorite of your youth with a dash of adulthood! So satisfy your sweet tooth with this winter wonder.
- Cocoa powder
- 2% milk (or oat milk)
- Vanilla extract
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Whiskey (Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey is a wild winter option)
Directions (click here for other liquor and toppings options)
- Place a saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and ¼ cup of the milk and whisk until the cocoa powder is integrated. Whisk in the remaining milk until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and heat over medium heat until the chocolate melts, about 2 minutes. Do not boil.
- Stir in the booze. Serve immediately, garnished with whipped cream, marshmallows, and chocolate shavings.
What is better than a classic cocktail on a cold winter evening? Slip on your warmest slippers and fire up your smoking pipe. You’re getting toasted.
- 1 sugar cube
- 3 dashes aromatic bitters
- 2 orange slices, divided
- 2 maraschino cherries, divided
- 1 splash club soda
- 2 ounces of 52Eighty Cackler’s Whiskey
- 2 ounces hot water
Directions (Click here for more tips from this recipe)
- Place a sugar cube in the bottom of an old-fashioned glass and saturate it with 3 dashes of bitters.
- Add one orange slice, a cherry, and a splash of soda. Muddle thoroughly. Remove the fruit remnants.
- Add the bourbon and finish it off with warm-to-midly-hot water.
- Garnish with the remaining orange slice and cherry. Serve and enjoy.
THE CHRISTMAS MARTINI
This sweet and sour cocktail is right up your chimney when you’re hovering between Santa’s naughty or nice list. But the Christmas Martini will inspire you to be good the rest of the year.
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Switch Vodka Light or Switch Pomegranate Lemongrass
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) 100% cranberry juice (not sweetened)
- ½ ounce (1 tablespoon) Cointreau
- ½ ounce (1 tablespoon) lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons simple syrup or maple syrup
- For the garnish: cranberries, rosemary sprig
Directions (Check out the full recipe Here)
- Place the vodka, unsweetened cranberry juice, Cointreau, lemon juice, and syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake for 15 seconds until cold.
- Strain the drink into a cocktail or martini glass. Garnish with cranberries and rosemary, and serve.
MAPLE BOURBON CHAI TEA
Create a warm chai tea option to spice up tea time. Using a bourbon blend will warm up any holiday!
- 6 ounces steaming hot water
- 2 chai tea bags
- 3 ounces 52Eighty Cackler’s Whiskey
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 ounce half-and-half
- Cinnamon stick for garnish
- Pour the steaming water over the chai tea bags into a heatproof mug. Let steep for 3 minutes, then remove the tea bags.
- Add the Cackler’s Whiskey, maple syrup, and half-and-half and stir to combine. Garnish with a cinnamon stick.
CRISP HARD CIDER SANGRIA
Light the fireplace and put on your favorite sweater; this festive fruity favorite will have you spreading holiday cheer with your family and friends. (via Simmer + Sauce)
- 2 apples (1 green and 1 red apple), unpeeled, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 1 orange, halved and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Champman’s Apple Brandy
- One (12-ounce) bottle Granny Smith Woodchuck Hard Cider, chilled
Warm alcoholic drinks for cold weather are the secret to weathering the winter months. If this list doesn’t tickle your fancy, you can try this list of hot vodka cocktails!
So, if you have nowhere to go, let it snow and let the warm cocktails flow!
(Please drink responsibly)