While baseball is the official American pastime, sipping on a cocktail with friends takes a close second. Work happy hours, late-night cocktail parties, and boozy holidays are the foundation for many great social gatherings. But while those alcohol-based events can be fun, they can also be carb-heavy and high-calorie. If you’re looking to ease the density of your diet when you choose to partake, we’ve got just the spirit for you: Switch Light Vodka. Wondering what to mix with vodka? Here are the easiest, simplest, and lightest vodka cocktails you can make.
WHY VODKA “LIGHT?”
Vodka is considered one of the healthiest spirits you can drink.
For one, it’s considered one of the more heart-healthy alcoholic choices; as you drink vodka, blood flow increases and can help to prevent clots, strokes, and heart disease. On the other hand, it has no carbs or sugar, and is easy to mix with low-calorie mixers. When you choose Switch Vodka – you’re giving yourself an even healthier night out on the town. Pick from the original, Peach Basil or Pomegranate Lemongrass.
HOW TO “JAZZ UP” A VODKA SODA
I know what you’re thinking – does that mean I’m stuck with vodka sodas for the rest of my life? Must I sacrifice my taste buds for the sake of health any time I want to drink?!
We’re here to tell you, no, not necessarily. But vodka sodas aren’t all bad – you just have to know a few tricks to make them a touch on the tastier side!
- Make it berry delicious. Mash up your berries of choice – we like raspberry and blueberry best- to add. The dash of color and slight hint of fruit will be sure to sweeten the deal.
- Put a spin on your typical lemonade! All you need is some lemon juice, soda water, and simple syrup to add as much sweetness as you’d like to Switch Light Vodka over ice!
- Drink your veggies. Add herbs – such as mint or basil – to give your drink an earthy flare.
WHAT ELSE TO MIX WITH VODKA
Outside of the eternal vodka soda, we’ve compiled a few of our favorite options you can make instead, whether you’re at a party or out at your favorite bar. Some of them can even be healthy mixes!
So, if you’re wondering what to mix with vodka, well, here you are:
#1: Moscow Mule
To create, you’ll need Switch Vodka Light or any other flavor (2 ounces), lime juice – preferably freshly squeezed, ginger beer – 3 ounces per drink, best when chilled, and a slice of lime to add to the side.
This drink also requires no fancy bar tools so you can simply pour the vodka in, top it with ginger beer and garnish with a lime slice. Be sure to get a quality ginger beer with plenty of flavor.
If you’re looking to try something different, there are a few different ways you can dress this classic up:
- Make it skinny. You can make this diet-friendly by switching out the ginger beer for fresh ginger and a ginger flavored no-calorie seltzer of your choosing. Agave is a sweet alternative to sugar sweeteners.
- Make it spicy. On top of this, if you want to add in some heat, slice up a jalapeño and throw in as many of those thin slices as you want for an extra kick.
Put it in a copper cup for a little pizazz and nod to Moscow culture.
#2: French 76
More of a champagne or sparkling wine drinker? This combination is the best of both worlds!
All you need is Switch Vodka Light (or, again, any flavor), a spritz of lemon juice, a tiny pour of simple syrup, and champagne to get you buzzing in the best way.
#3: White Russian
This creamy classic is just vodka, Kahlua and cream that is famously delicious and only takes a couple of minutes to make. Simply find a low-ball glass, add ice, pour 2 oz of Switch Vodka Light, 1 ounce of Kahlua liqueur and a splash of heavy cream. Most bars should have the ingredients so it is super easy to order and allows you to have a decadent drink any time!
#4: Vodka Sour
This one takes a bit of “eggstra” (forgive our pun) leg work, but we promise its worth it.
To make this cocktail:
- Crack an egg and discard the yolk; add the egg white to a cocktail shaker.
- Add 2 ounces of Switch Vodka Light to the shaker.
- Then add 1 oz of lemon juice, ½ ounce of simple syrup and 2 dashes of Angostura bitters.
- Shake all of this up for 15 seconds.
- Add ice to your cocktail shaker and shake it up for another 30 seconds until frothy.
- Strain the drink into a glass, garnish with a lime wedge or twist, and a cocktail cherry.
This martini isn’t just for Carrie Bradshaw – Cosmopolitans are popular for a reason.
Pink-hued and fruity, the Cosmopolitan is a simple mix of Switch Light vodka, an ounce of Cointreau, an ounce of any light cranberry juice cocktail and an ounce of fresh lime juice, with a twist of lemon for garnish.
Sip on one of these and imagine you’re part of the cast in 90’s New York anywhere in the world!
#6: Bloody Mary
We couldn’t leave this one out, though it is a heavier choice and best for brunching. The classic ingredients are: Switch Vodka Light, tomato juice, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, tabasco sauce, celery salt and black pepper. However, we have seen some wild renditions of this all time favorite that you wouldn’t usually opt to add.
Some of the toppings we really enjoy adding to a bloody mary are:
- Bacon. Duh.
- Pepperoncini – deliciously crunch, slightly sour punch with every bite and sip!
- Pickled okra – with the same zing as pepperoncini, this one is a great secondary addition.
- Pimento stuffed olives – this soft and salty combo are perfect with the rest of your glasses contents.
Some of the craziest toppings we’ve seen:
- Seafood. And we mean all seafood – an entire lobster tail, a shrimp, crab on a stick – you name it, we’ve tried it.
- Mini cheeseburgers. Seriously. Drink and a meal? We’re in!
- Onion rings. In all its fried goodness!
With tomato juice being a healthier option for your Switch vodka cocktail, while also doubling as a snack, we’re calling this one a win-win.
Now all you need to do is find the perfect opportunity to put these recipes to use and enjoy the sweet taste of drinking lightly with your Switch vodka light cocktail!